Sunday 2 November 2008

Iconic Images


I have just come across a fantastic website called 'World's Famous Photos' that contains hundreds of iconic images, many I recognise myself. I very often look for a number of these famous pictures to use with my groups at school, now, thanks to this website, it will be a much easier task!

The picture I have posted at the top is one that I came across many years ago that I keep coming back to. I find this image to be very poignant, not only for what it is showing; the plight of Sudan during a terrible famine and the starving boy that is being stalked by a vulture,that is waiting for the child to die, but also for the story behind this photo. The photo was taken in 1994 by Kevin Carter in Sudan. The dying child is crawling towards a United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away. Carter took a photo of this scene to highlight the plight of the Sudanese people, but after the picture was taken he left the scene. Carter's image went on to win the Pulitzer Prize. No one knows what happened to the starving child depicted in this photo, not even Carter. The picture did generate public interest in the plight of Sudan but Carter couldn't live with the guilt of leaving the child. Three months after taking the photo Carter committed suicide.

Take a look at the images contained on the website and let me know which one stands out the most for you!

No comments: